Minnesota Social Security Disability Lawyers


At LaCourse, Poole & Envall, P.A., our team of lawyers routinely help people obtain Social Security Disability benefits. These benefits are in place to help workers and their families in the case of loss of income due to disability or death of a provider. There are three kinds of Social Security benefits and knowing which ones you qualify for can sometimes be confusing. We’re here to listen to your case, answer your questions, and help get you the benefits you deserve. Contact our Social Security Disability Lawyers in Duluth, Minnesota today.

Our Social Security Disability Attorneys in Duluth can help:

  • File appeals on your behalf
  • File paperwork with Social Security
  • Obtain medical records and reports from your doctors
  • Represent you at your hearing

Please take a look below at some of our frequently asked questions. If you have additional questions, please give us a call at 1-800-535-1665 or (218) 727-5384; or fill out our contact form.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for Social Security Disability?

You can file an online application at www.ssa.gov, or you can apply at your local Social Security Office. Northern Minnesota and Wisconsin have offices in Duluth, Hibbing and Superior, WI. There are personnel at all of these offices that can help you complete the appropriate forms.

What do I put on my initial application?

Social Security can be awarded for both physical and mental conditions. You want to make sure that you list all of those conditions up front. For some people it may be only one issue, such as a hip condition. For others, it may be a combination of a physical hip problem coupled with depression. In order to receive the benefits you deserve, it is very important that you thoroughly list all health conditions.

What else will Social Security want to know?

Social Security will need access to all of the medical facilities and physicians that have treated you for the conditions that are making you unable to work. They will also need a signed authorization to allow them to request copies of your medical records.

What happens if Social Security turns me down?

It’s very important to file an appeal as soon as possible because you only have 60 days in which to do so. You can file your appeal by contacting your local Social Security office, contacting a lawyer who handles Social Security claims or online at www.ssa.gov. If you do not file an appeal within the allotted 60 days, you will have to start the process over again.

How do they determine how much money you will receive?

There are two Social Security Disability programs, Disability Insurance Benefits (DIB) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

Disability Insurance Benefits: The amount of money you are awarded through this program depends on how much you have paid into the Social Security system over the years. When you are found disabled Social Security will take this amount into consideration when awarding your benefits.

Supplemental Security Income: This program requires you to have a very limited income, assets or resources. Things like your spouse’s income are considered as yours, but your home or car are not counted in your overall resources or assets.

Do I apply for DIB and SSI separately?

Yes. They are two separate applications. Social Security needs to find you disabled for both programs separately.

When should I contact an attorney?

You only have 60 days to appeal your decision so it is important to contact an attorney immediately upon receiving your denial letter.

We’ll help you get fair consideration of your claim.

LaCourse & Envall
130 430 US, Wells Fargo Building, W Superior St DuluthMN55802 USA 
 • 218-727-5384